Tuesday 29 September 2009

Eid with my sisters

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

I've never imagined that spending Eid with my sisters who are non-muslims could be as great as the last week. I have 5 other siblings but only one of my sisters stayed near me. She is married and is now a Maths teacher at a secondary school near my work place. My youngest sister who is now 20 years old has just started her university at UKM near Kuala Lumpur. She decided to spend her semester break of a week at Johor to visit both of us. Plus, during Eid season, there is literally no one at any universities in Malaysia except those who can't go home or have no where to go.

She arrived on the eve of Eid and we went to have my last iftar at my foster family at Johor Bahru. The next day, both of my sisters came to visit me and we had some great time eating together after Eid prayer. We then went to visit a few houses until they were tired of the similar Malay Eid food. The next day, I started my Shawwal sunnah fast and they came visit me after lunch at my office where we all get to go online together since they each has a laptop and I have three internet lines in my office - actually one whole hub but only three wires.

We were deciding on going to the UK, trying to discuss it, after countless times, and ended up only me going to my graduation by myself. At the last hour before iftar, they started to play "Bejeweled Blitz" on facebook, trying to top the leader board. I played along with them. It was fun fighting to go on top of each other. Then we went to have iftar together - roti canai and teh tarik. This is actually my first time taking these two partner food together after coming back to Malaysia.

We did quite the similar the next day. They also took some photos in my office while I was working. Then we played "Bejeweled Blitz" again and had iftar. The next day was actually a working day and my sisters came again. I really enjoyed their company. Then we went home, I cooked for everyone and my youngest sister stayed at my house. On Friday, we did the similar and at the evening, we had iftar together and they bought me two moon cakes since it's going to be the Moon Cake or Lantern Festival two weeks after Eid. This is our tradition and it has nothing to do with religion, just a Chinese tradition, as far as I know. It is the time when family members sit together enjoying moon cakes and traditional Chinese tea while gazing at the moon and kids playing lanterns.

We didn't meet on Saturday because they went to a Chinese friend's wedding. The next day, I picked them to have breakfast together before I sent my youngest sister to the coach station. I actually, for the first time, felt that I'm going to miss her when her coach was leaving the platform.

Alhamdulillah, it was a nice week with my sisters. Hopefully one day, we will perform Eid prayer next to each other.

Wassalam.

2 comments:

  1. i like lantern festival and lov to eat moon cakes too..yummy2..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed eid with your sisters :)

    It'd be nice if they'd come to Camb. I would be delighted to meet them. Maybe next time inshaAllah (maybe for your wedding? Who know eh?) ;)

    ReplyDelete