Tuesday 8 September 2009

NVivo

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah wabarakatuh,

We are now having a short course on the use of NVivo - a software or tool to analyse qualitative data. I have learnt this when I was in Cambridge but that was like 3 years ago and at that time, the NVivo was still in version 5. Now it's version 8 and a lot have changed, plus a lot have been forgotten.

I did my PhD qualitatively but I did not use NVivo to analyse my qualitative data because I prefer analysing my data manually. Indeed it is adequate only that I need a big space to have all my data stuck up on the wall for me to refer.

It's quite a fun course cause there are not just me but also colleaugues. The facilitators are also our colleauges, a pair of husband and wife. Sitting next to me now is their daughter. She is ill hence not going to school. Instead, she is now searching for games online to play with me. We are going to play some games now. While waiting for her to download the game, I blog.

The one thing that I like about NVivo 8 is the Chart Wizard. It can produce a chart easily using the wizard. Sounds like Excel? Yes, but on top of that, the NVivo chart can be made in a 3-D format and it's very easy to read the data from the chart by just rolling over the mouse cursor on the part that we want to read. The photos below are just an example but it's not that clear. You can actually turn the chart 360 degrees wherever you like.




Anathor feature in NVivo that attracts quite a lot of people is model making. For example the model bottom.


That's far for today. The class has started.


Wassalam.

No comments:

Post a Comment